STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN – After announcing the World Top University Business Incubator and Accelerator Rankings 2015 on November 25, Live from Trafalgar Square in central London, UBI Global’s CEO, Ali Amin, announced yesterday, on December 15, the UBI Global World Top University Associated Business Incubators 2015.
UBI Global provides their rankings and benchmarks of University Business Incubators and University Business Accelerators through a proper representation of worldwide incubation programs. This year the final participants were selected by assessing 1200 incubators after which over 340 from 64 countries were retained for the benchmark. All University Associated Business Incubators that took home awards at their regional level were short-listed to be recognized at the world rankings.
“The importance of discovering and identifying these top performing incubators is underlined by our studies, which show that top benchmarked incubators provide almost half of the total economic impact within the incubation market” says UBI Global CEO and Co-founder, Ali Amin.
He continues “Highlighting some of their best practices will help universities, governments, incubation agencies and corporations to improve the incubators they support.”
The University Associated Business Incubation Landscape
University Associated Business Incubators help early stage ventures become viable and scalable through facilitating access to skills, access to funds and access to network (market place) for its startup clients. It has a quality-controlled intake of startup clients and regular time-bound exits in the form of graduate startup clients.
Our University Associated Business Incubation landscape is made up of 69 incubators, each with an average yearly operations budget of $548K, which equates to nearly $37.8M annually for the whole sample.
With regards to sector focus, over one third (43%) of University Associated Business Incubators are concentrated on ICT, whilst Social/Environment incubation programs are the second biggest focus. The third biggest sector in the University Associated Business Incubation landscape is Non-specialise (12%). A further 9% are focused on Other. Incubators focused on Biotech and Cleantech have a small but equal share of sector focus with 6% each.
University Associated Business Incubators attracted a total of $636M, meaning each of the 69 incubators has received an average of $9.2M. With regard to deal flow University Associated Business Incubators as a whole receive 6 600 applications per year, equating to an average of 95 applications per incubator.
In the last 5 years, University Associated Business Incubators have created 24 200 jobs and over the same time period generated $2.2B in sales, equating to an average of $31.6M in sales per incubator.
Ali Amin concludes “University incubators are striving to become a global referent in an increasingly competitive sector where it is essential to understand what lays behind its complex ecosystem. For this reason, we pledge to provide them with the necessary tools and insights so they can overcome challenges and build a sustainable business incubation model.”
Top University Associated Business Incubator
A Top University Associated Business Incubator is an incubator with no formal affiliation but works closely with a university, that provide better value for the ecosystem and their startup clients than their regional or global peers. They stand out from average-performing incubators with better outcomes on economy enhancement, access to funds and post incubation performance indicators.
World Rankings 2015
World Top 10 University Associated Business Incubators:
- #1 Dublin Enterprise & Technology Centre (trading as Guinness Enterprise Centre) – Dublin City University, Trinity College Dublin, UCD Smurfit School of Business, BCFE Ballyfermot College of Further Education, Dublin Institute of Technology; Ireland
- #2 Youngstown Edison Incubator Corporation (DBA Youngstown Business Incubator) – Youngstown State University, Kent State University, Hiram College, Case Western Reserve University, University of Akron; United States
- #3 Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) – University of California, University of Southern California, California State University, Northridge, California Institute of Technology, Otis College of Art & Design; United States
- #4 Montpellier BIC – University of Montpellier; France
- #5 H-FARM – University of Padova; Italy
- #6 INCUBIO – Polytechnic University of Catalonia; Spain
- #7 Technoport – University of Luxembourg, DFKI, Université Louvain-la-Neuve, Université de Lorraine, Université de Liège; Luxembourg
- #8 Residentship Program of Ingria Business Incubator – National Research University ITMO; Russia
- #9 InQbator of Poznan Science and Technology Park – Adam Mickiewicz University; Poland
- #10 THE HIVE – University of Camerino, Universitatea Danubius din Galati; Italy
In case you missed the live broadcast of the Top University Associated Business Incubator World Rankings 2015 you can watch a recording of the broadcast below:
For more information please contact:
An Nguyen-Johansson, Director of Operations, email@example.com